Monday, November 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

I made a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving this year that I just loved.  I got the recipe from Real Simple magazine (as I had said in the last post).  It had great reviews, so I really wanted to try it.  My mom said it didn't sound any different from her regular sweet potato casserole, and maybe it wasn't! I have had this dish in different variations on Thanksgiving throughout the years.  And I'm really not sure if there is anything different about this recipe, but it was so sweet and light and fluffy! I loved it!


My husband said he wasn't sure how he felt about a marshmallow top as he was used to a crunch top.  But judging by the fact that he returned to the refrigerator to help himself to more on several occasions, I'd say he also found it delightful!
(this is the professional photograph they took to get your mouth watering)

(That's mine..not nearly as visually appealing..but still tasted great!)

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes 
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
  • Cooking spray 
  • 2 cups miniature marshmallows 

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.
  • Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.
I did not have a dutch oven.  I just boiled them in a regular pot and let them sit after that for 30 minutes.  


I also seasoned mine with some cinnamon.
The recipe was shared in Real Simple Magazine through www.myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment