Monday, August 25, 2014

Baby #2

So, there was a reason I didn't post much about Gordon Lee's adventures in learning last week.  I was feeling miserable. I know for a fact that I did not have this much nausea with Gordon Lee.  On the bright side, I have discovered that eating raw carrots is a great remedy for nausea! It's truly wonderful.

We found out about baby #2 at the very beginning of August. Something wasn't right.  I am not going to go into all of the details.  But I was on birth control, and I just wasn't feeling right.  I didn't think I could be pregnant. However, I was having pretty much all of the early pregnancy symptoms (minus the nausea at the time).  So, I decided to just take a test and see. It was positive. I took a test from a different brand. Also positive. Of course, this was confirmed the next Monday by a blood test. 

I was still in shock.  I think I stared at that test wondering, Seriously?? for the longest time. And part of me wasn't even sure I was really pregnant.  "Maybe this is some weird hormonal malfunction."

I told the doctor at my very first visit that I was on birth control, and I had no clue as to how far along I could be. So, they tried to do an estimate. They gave me a due date of March 30, 2015.  And they scheduled an appointment for me to have an ultrasound (which was today) to get a true date confirmed.  Today, I saw a tiny little blob of a baby with a good heartbeat. I didn't even know what I was looking at until they told me. I did see the heartbeat flickering away immediately, which brought me tons of relief. The heart rate was 136. 
I finally believe I am really pregnant for sure. :) We had some concerns due to the birth control.  I wasn't sure if the baby would be okay in there. I also hadn't taken any prenatal vitamins until after I had a positive test and I didn't really even know how far along that was. By today's ultrasound, the baby measures 7 weeks and 5 days and has a new due date of April 8th.  They told me they change the due date if the ultrasound shows an estimate that is more than a week off of the original due date.  Now, on ultrasounds, Gordon Lee actually always measured a week behind of what he was "supposed" to, and he still arrived 6 days before his original due date--that would be 2 weeks before the ultrasound due date.  So, you just never know.  I do think it is a little bit easier at this stage to estimate weeks because of the heart rate and the way the baby looks developmentally.  

This time around, I am seeing a hospital midwife.  I chose to go with a hospital midwife this time because of something that impressed me with my birth experience with Gordon Lee.  I had gone to the hospital after my water had broken.  My doctor was not immediately available.  And my labor was progressing very slowly. My doctor requested a particular hospital midwife to check on me.  After 2 other people had checked on me, she figured out the problem immediately and got my labor going. 

I like my midwife.  She is very sweet.  Unfortunately, she will probably not deliver this baby. We are scheduled to move again in January.  So, I hope I find someone good at our next location. While there is a slight chance we might be here, it really is not likely.

We are getting pretty excited about it now.  Gordon Lee is very excited.  He kisses my tummy every night and says various things like "Hi Baby, I'm your big brother" "I hope you are having fun in there" "I hope you are a boy so we can play sword fights" "I love you baby" and "My name is Gordon." We just pray for a healthy pregnancy, and I will be ecstatic when this first trimester is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment