Thursday, November 24, 2011

OUR First Thanksgiving

Turkeys all around the world were probably thanking us this Thanksgiving as we decided to forgo the traditional turkey and have a ham for Thanksgiving.  Besides, those familiar with Animal Farm would likely agree it isn't safe to keep pigs around.  This was basically because we had preordered both a turkey and a ham when we were planning for a much larger crowd.  When we knew it was just us, we had to pick one.  At first, we were going to do a turkey because what's Thanksgiving without a turkey, right? But then, for practicality reasons a ham made so much more sense. It was already cooked and sliced.  We wouldn't have to do anything to it to save it for sandwiches later except wrap it back up and put it in the refrigerator.  So, a ham it was for us.


As I had said in my last post, I started to think that this would be a good opportunity for us to spend a holiday together as a family.  And it truly was!  My husband and I split Thanksgiving preparations; he made three dishes and I did as well.


I made a sweet potato casserole (recipe coming in a later post) that I got out of Real Simple magazine and it was to die for!
I also made a pumpkin pie. Nothing special, but it was still good!  I made the crust by hand and was surprised it came out nice.
I also made a green bean casserole, which is easy as it only requires opening up some cans and putting the contents together. Still, I love green bean casserole, and it was great.  I didn't take a picture of that one by itself.

I also carried on my grandmother's tradition with the cranberry sauce.  Now, one might think this is simple, and I'm sure my grandmother did it for the sake of efficiency.  But getting the cranberry sauce out of the can while maintaining the mold of the can is not easy! It takes careful precision. I pulled it off, though. Grandma would be proud. 

My husband made deviled eggs that were delicious.  Of course deviled eggs are delicious! I did not get to take a picture of them on their own, but you will see them later.

He also made some great tasting baked beans with some bacon and brown sugar.  They were wonderful!

Finally, he made some STUFFIN MUFFINS! That is so much fun to say! Try it, "stuffin muffins." You know you enjoyed it! I did manage to get in the kitchen and get a before picture.

We had just the right amount of food for the two of us.  Yes, we had too much but that's part of Thanksgiving anyway! Now we have plenty to eat for a week.  Okay, so here you see the previously described (without a picture) green bean casserole, deviled eggs, ham, and baked beans! My husband snatched his plate up and started getting food not pictured before I got a chance to photograph the whole table! We were hungry and little man was napping, so we knew we had to eat while we had the time alone.  He did nap for two hours, which gave us plenty of time to eat!

I couldn't wait to dig in! Of course, we gave thanks to the Lord first for giving us time together as a family and food on our plates. 
That little brown thing near the deviled eggs is a scrumptious stuffin muffin!

It was such a beautiful time spent with each other eating delicious food and later sitting by a nice warm fire in the fireplace. 

Little man had a very nice day as well.  He had slept 9 straight hours the night before making the day more enjoyable for all of us! He was full of smiles all day showing his thankfulness for life! He spent the day rolling around playing with toys, taking good naps, and finished it off with some fun in his jumperoo.  


And who really needs a turkey anyway when you have this little turkey?


I hope everyone had just as enjoyable of a Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment