Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent


Today is the 3rd Sunday of Advent.  Some people don't practice Advent, and I really haven't been this year.  But I like Advent and what it stands for.  I found some information about each Sunday that I thought was interesting and figured I'd share it.


In the liturgy prior to the Second Vatican Council (1962 Missal, Extraordinary Form), the Gospel texts for the Four Sundays were fixed with the following readings:
  1. First Sunday of Advent: Second Coming of Christ (Luke 21:25-33)
  2. Second Sunday of Advent: Saint John the Baptist "Shall we look for another?" (Mt 11:2-10)
  3. Third Sunday of Advent: Saint John the Baptist "Whose sandal I'm unworthy to untie" (John 1:19-28)
  4. Fourth Sunday of Advent: Saint John the Bapist "‘Make ready the way of the Lord, make straight His paths" (Luke 3:1-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment