Friday, November 11, 2011

Month #4

I realized I should hurry up and write a blog about Gordon Lee's 4th month before it is gone.  It seems the 3rd month just FLEW by! My little boy seems to be getting so big and learning so much every day!
During the first 3 months when he had colic, it seemed like a long time! However, as soon as that started to go away, life with him started getting a lot easier and a lot more fun.  So, I think that's why it seemed like all I had to do was blink and now he is 4 months old.

I started him on rice cereal, which he just loves.  My husband was laughing last night because he couldn't believe he was so exciting about eating it! This has really helped us because before this, he wasn't sleeping as well due to digesting milk so fast.  He was eating a lot.  He was tired; I was tired and I really think I wasn't producing as much milk or as good quality milk due to this.  After the rice cereal, he started going longer between feeds, doing better while feeding, sleeping better, and I seem to be making more/better milk as a result.  He is doing great with eating from a spoon.  I tried to tape him, but he wanted to stare at the camera. HA! Here it is anyway in case you want to see his rice cereal eating skills (I don't blame you if you don't).

He is now rolling from his back to his tummy on a regular basis.  He is getting very good control of himself while on his tummy, and he pivots himself around with his arms on the floor.  Just today he realized he could support himself while grabbing for a toy on his tummy and he seemed pretty excited about that.

As far as the sleeping goes, you know, I'm starting to wonder if being able to sleep well is as much a part of development as grabbing for toys, rolling, etc.  I may have done something that lead to him learning to put himself back to sleep and nap better; however, I kind of think it's just part of him being old enough to realize he can self soothe.  I don't want to speak too soon on whether or not something is working.  But the past 2-3 days, he has been doing better and better about just going to sleep when I lay him down and putting himself back to sleep when he wakes up briefly.  He took 2 hour long naps in his crib yesterday.  This morning, he went down for 1 hour, woke up and fussed a little but then put himself back to sleep and continued napping for another hour.  I seriously do not believe this is from anything I did.  I think he just did it.  He is now on his second nap which has been going on for almost an hour.

I'm hoping this is signaling a new trend as just a week ago if  I laid him down in his crib without him being totally asleep, his eyes would pop open, he'd freak out, start crying, and nap time was an endless cycle of waking up after brief periods of sleeping.  It just happened two days ago that he suddenly was okay with me laying him down while sleepy but not asleep and drifted off to a nap without help.  So, like I said, maybe it's just one of those things that happens as they get a little older.

He is also babbling away all the time, I took him to Target today and he attracted tons of attention because he just kept babbling and talking the whole time we were in the store! Thankfully, people thought it was cute. :) 

It's just amazing how fast things have been going! I feel like he will be a year old before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment