Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sometimes...

This is just a quick blog about sleep.  I was going to write one as an update on my last blog about sleep.  However, I've decided I really only have a few short things to say.  First of all I did start having Gordon Lee sleep separately in his pack and play bassinet for many reasons...he and I were both losing way too much sleep, I couldn't get up out of the bed without waking him (that means I couldn't even go to the bathroom at night), his naps during the day kept getting shorter, etc. Also, I have to admit, he was around me so much I was actually starting to resent him sometimes when he needed me...that sounds bad and I hate admitting it, but it was the case. Moving him out of the bed at night helped a TON! So, I thought maybe I should just go cold turkey and get him used to sleeping by himself at all times.  He did surprisingly well and even slept 7 1/2 hours one night!


Anyway, after trying strategies from the book I've been reading and seeing them work...I have STILL come to these conclusions.



  • I was talking to my mom the other day who said she hadn't slept well.  I think babies, like us, just have some nights when they don't sleep well...no matter how good of a nap they had during the day or how well you followed through with a bed time routine.  Sometimes, we just don't sleep well for whatever reason.
  • I think sometimes babies do need help getting to sleep.  The book I was reading said rocking, giving a bottle, or finding some other way to help the baby get to sleep can make it hard for the baby to fall asleep on his or her own.  And I get that, but I still think he needs help sometimes.  If his tummy hurts from gas, he doesn't know how to just put himself to sleep.
  • Sometimes there's no rule that just works or doesn't.  Sometimes you have to go with what you feel is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment