Sunday, October 2, 2011

Baking with Baby

With the approach of October yesterday, I had the urge to bake.  I wanted to make something that would go with the season, of course.  So, I called my mother to see if she had any good recipes.  After going through options like cookies, pies, etc., pumpkin bread seemed the most enticing!

I decided that I would make a loaf today while little Gordon Lee took his nap.  After filling up his tummy and putting him down for a nap, I went to get ready to make my pumpkin bread.  Unfortunately, after only about 5 minutes of sleeping, he ended up having an explosion in his pants that startled him awake.  Daddy graciously changed his diaper and tried to put him back down for a nap, but it wasn't working.

My baby only enjoyed being carried around in a sling or carrier for about a month until he would pitch a fit any time I tried to strap him to me.  I'm sure one of the reasons had to do with how hot it is down here and it isn't fun being strapped to someone when it is hot.  Yet, another reason (that my dad just happened to discover) for him disliking slings and carriers was that he wanted to face OUT.  Since he was too small at the time for this to happen, my dad improvised his own sling.
(a t-shirt turned baby carrier--inventive)
Gordon Lee was a huge fan as he could be toted around while facing outward.  Well, I decided that just MAYBE he might be big enough to face out.  As it turns out, I was able to adjust the baby bjorn for him to face out today!  

Ahh...fantastic! I could put him in there and still make my pumpkin bread.  Well, it was absolutely a success!

He started out alert and very excited to look at everything that was going on! He enjoyed watching me get the ingredients out, pour them together, etc.  There were a few areas, however, that required assistance.  The first challenge was breaking eggs.  I couldn't see my hands very well, so my husband came in and intervened turning the baking into a family affair! I'd originally just planned on calling him in there when it was time to put the bread in or take it out (since I wouldn't dare get the baby near the oven!) But there we all were making pumpkin bread together.  

Gordon Lee had such a great time that the excitement got to him and nap time set in.

Ahhhh beautiful! We were able to get something fun done and work the nap in at the same time! 

As for the bread, I haven't tried it yet.  But even if it isn't any good, a great time was still had by all. 

The bread looks good and if anyone wants to make it, here's the recipe!
(I apologize for the poor picture quality.  I had to take these with my phone as my husband needed the camera at work)

This recipe makes 2 loaves.
Grease 2 loaf pans and  pre-heat oven to 350.
 
3 cups sugar (or splenda)
1 cup vegetable  oil (or use applesauce)
4 beaten eggs
1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
1 teasp. Baking powder
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 teasp. salt
2 teasp. Baking soda
½ teasp. ground cloves
1 teasp. Cinnamon
1 teasp. Nutmeg
1 teasp. Allspice
2/3 cup water 1 cup pecans or walnut pieces (optional)
 
Combine sugar, oil (or applesauce) and eggs, beat until light and fluffy.
Stir in pumpkin. Combine all the dry ingredients and stir into the pumpkin mixture. Add water and nuts. Mixing well.
 Bake at  preheated oven 350 degrees for 65 minutes. When using splenda, check about 5-10 minutes earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment