Monday, January 9, 2012

What is love? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.

Several months ago, by the suggestion of my mother, I entered a writing contest.  The winners are supposed to be notified sometime around today or shortly after.  Seeing as how I haven't heard a thing, I doubt I won.  However, I don't even care if I did win or not.  The experience in and of itself was incredible for me. 
The essay prompt was to write about the first time you learned the meaning of love.  I was not at all excited about this topic.  And, yes, as soon as I heard it, the first thing that came into my mind was, "What is love? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more." I can't help it.  However, I was about 8-9 months pregnant at the time and spending quite a bit of time with my feet up.  So, I thought I might as well enter.
If I was going to enter, I was going to give it my all.  I read carefully through the contest rules and guidelines.  They wanted something out of the box.
And after taking time to think about an original topic, one came to me.  And while I still didn't like the topic and even mentioned in the essay that I cannot pin down an exact time I first learned the meaning of love, the story I wrote was of a powerful lesson in love.
I decided when I entered that if I didn't win, I'd share the essay on here.  But I had to work hard to stay quiet.  I thought for sure with the baby and everything, that I would have long forgotten about the contest by now.  I haven't.  
But it's incredible what I actually learned about love and life through this contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment