Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Long-Awaited Time Has Come

On January 1, 2010, I sat motionless on the couch in the living room after my husband hugged and kissed me goodbye to be on his way to OCS in Georgia.  I didn't know what to do with myself when he was gone.  I knew that the class would be 12 weeks long and that I could handle it with trips to see each other.  However, I didn't expect the wave of emotion that would overtake me when he left.  I didn't want to go anywhere.  I just wanted to sit there, do nothing, touch nothing in hopes that perhaps that would make it feel like he would come back faster.


A few days later, I mustered up the courage to venture outside.  I ran a few errands, and I started to feel better.  Still, though, I longed to be with him and cannot even describe in words what it felt like to be apart.  Just imagine you are trying to function with only half of your body.


When he arrived in Georgia, he was told he would have to wait longer for his class to start.  We hoped and prayed that he would get in with no problems.  The competition seemed as though it could be tough.  He made it in.  Then, it seems, that we spent much of the rest of the time hoping and praying for various things.  Some of the things we hoped and prayed for came to fruition.  Some did not.  One of the most magnificent things that did come to be, though, was that my husband successfully completed the officer training course and will be named an Army Officer on Thursday, April 8, 2010!! I am beyond excited for him and infinitely proud!  


I long to be with him again, to see him, to hold him, to enjoy times together laughing and being together as we should be.  Because a husband and wife ARE one and should be one.  Those words are powerful and very true.  This time that we have been apart could have caused us to drift further or grow closer.  We have grown so much closer that I feel the oneness that I believe we should be feeling as husband and wife.  We both have matured through the experience.  We've learned to try not to take any thing, no matter how small, for granted.  Because you will miss it in a BIG way when it isn't there anymore.  


My flight leaves tomorrow at 9 am.  Based on the experience from my last flight, I'm not going in with any expectations.  I just pray for a safe arrival.  I wish I could just jump into his arms right now. 


One of the things that we hoped and prayed for that did NOT come to be was for him to be able to return to North Carolina.  I am currently working at a job that I love with coworkers who are great!  I enjoy going to work, and I would hate to leave.  The army isn't for choosers, though.  And they decided that he and I need to be in Kansas in the Fall.  After talking with the lady in charge, though, my husband tried to find out if there was at least a way to stay in Georgia for awhile.  He found out there was.  So, now, I am going to be moving to Georgia.  


I will finally get to be with him on a much more regular basis! YES!!! He will have to be away for periods of time for training.  But I don't care.  Seeing him at least two days a week is better than none at all! Even though I love my job here, there seem to be jobs available in Georgia that I'm applying to.  Plus, I love the town in Georgia much better than the one I live in right now.  So, all in all, we are both tremendously blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, this is so very nice! It is so comforting to know there are doors there too:)

    ReplyDelete