Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Come SNOW or high water....I will get there...

I really didn't see myself doing a blog, nor do I actually think anybody will be interested in reading it. However, I have found I have more time on my hands these days and I have been itching to write things I've been thinking and feeling. Most of what I think and feel is pretty boring. So, this blog is more of a way for me to release things that are bouncing about in my head than it is to entertain or enlighten anyone.

This weekend, I went down to Georgia to spend Valentine's Day weekend with my husband. I actually wasn't sure if I should go or not initially. I really wasn't able to take the time off of work, and I also did not have the energy to make the drive. There were a few reasons, though, why I felt it was important for me to go. One of these reasons was that he only gets so much time off where he can just be with me. I figured that, since these times were so few and far between, I really ought to seize them while they are available. So, I found a plane ticket to Atlanta for a decent price and decided to fly there and back over the weekend.

Usually, this would have been the most reasonable option. Yet, of all weekends for it to snow in Atlanta, it just HAD to be the weekend that I decided to fly there. My first flight was set back about an hour because my connecting airport had shut down and refused to let any more planes fly in. Then, the plane I was on had to be de-iced before we could leave. My original flight was to leave at 6 pm and arrive at 7 pm. I was then to connect on another plane that would leave at 8 pm and arrive in Atlanta at 9 pm. My husband and I were both checking to make sure that the flights were not cancelled. Well, as I was in the air on my first flight, my second flight, that had been marked as "on time" before take-off, was cancelled. Plus, I did not get in to the airport until close to 9 pm. So, I rushed to the gate that just so happened to be on the other side of the airport and explained my situation to the lady at the desk.

She said that the flight was booked, but that she would put me on standby for a flight set to leave at 10:20 as well at the next one out at 8 am the next morning. Due to the snow in Atlanta, every other flight going there that Friday had been cancelled starting from earlier on that morning. People were desperate to get there. They were literally swarming the gate and asking about ticket prices, flying first class to get there, etc. etc. There were at least 60 people on standby and I clearly did not believe there was any chance I'd make the flight. I heard people relaying stories to one another about how they'd been waiting all day for this flight. I'd merely been waiting 30-45 minutes for it. I told my husband that, if I made that flight, it would be a miracle because loads of people were in front of me trying to get on it. Only 4 flights had gone in to Atlanta and ours would be the 5th one. My husband told me to stop being so negative but he couldn't see the crowds of people desperate to get on that plane! I sat there saying to myself, "Rebecca, don't be selfish. There are other people here who need to get on this plane too. If you don't get it, it's okay." But my feelings wanted to say otherwise. So, finally, they announce the plane was boarding and everyone literally cheered. They boarded the people who had an assigned seat on the plane. Then, they started calling standby passengers by name. They called about 20 names (none of them being mine) and I waited anxiously hoping that I would not have to sleep at the airport or find lodging. Surprisingly, my name was called! I ran to the desk and gave them my pass with my name on it, and they gave me a seat in exchange! I was the LAST name called for that flight and received the LAST seat available! I thanked the Lord. I just could not believe it.

Once on the plane, I was in a middle seat in the back. I didn't mind because I had a seat. We began to roll away from the gate and I let my husband know that he could head to the airport because I was on the plane. He then began to leave the hotel room for the airport.

The pilot came overhead about 20 minutes after we started to taxi out and told us that our plane needed to be de-iced. He said that there were 20 planes needing to be de-iced and that it takes about 20 minutes per plane. The guy next to me said, "If I'm doing my math right, that's 7 hours!" Panic ensued on the part of almost all of the passengers. But I said, "There's no way it will take 7 hours. They'll have to find a way to de-ice more than on plane at a time because they can't waste that many hours and flights." Well, sure enough, about 40-60 minutes later (I'm not sure exactly how long) the pilot came on saying we were plane #7 to be de-iced. I texted my husband to tell him about that only to find out that he was now stuck in traffic not moving at all!!

Our plane moved to the line and an hour later we were deiced. I texted my husband. He was still in the same spot as before.

After take-off, it was one hour until we arrived in Atlanta. We touched down at about 2 am. I told my husband I'd arrived. And he said, "Well, get comfortable because I still haven't moved!"

At the airport, I decided to get something to eat because I hadn't eaten since 5 am and I was pretty hungry. While I was eating my meal, he called me to say that traffic finally started moving. He had been stuck sitting still for 3 hours because of so many accidents caused from the snow. Of course, this was all from less than 1 inch of snow!

Even though he was moving, he still had 40 miles to go. So, I sat down and waited patiently for him. The airport in Atlanta resembled a homeless shelter because people lined the walls, chairs, and benches asleep from being stuck there. I did find it hilarious when I heard people groaning about how they'd "been stranded" there. Ha!Ha! I'm still laughing about that now! Stranded??? Are you kidding me? I wanted to comment to them about that out loud and say, "Being at an airport with food, water, shelter, electricity, a bathroom, and everything you need for survival is HARDLY being stranded. Try living on an island with NOTHING. Now THAT is stranded." Honestly, I'm sure this isn't just an American thing, but I feel that as Americans we are often so over-indulgent and selfish. We want everything as comfortable and easy as we can possibly have it at all times and, if not, then so help us. This is really sad because what would we do if we were really without all of our daily conveniences? Could we survive? Shouldn't we try our best to be thankful to the Lord no matter WHAT? And if we complain in small circumstances like this, how will we sustain any type of hardship?

Anyway, I had gotten on a tangent. Finally, my husband arrived at the airport at around 4:15 am. I ran out to meet him, I hugged him, and I cried because I was so utterly happy to see him. I thanked the Lord for bringing us to each other safely and giving us both perseverance and peace throughout the trip. For the rest of the weekend, we had a great time. We spent some much-needed time together and cherished every moment of it.

I really do miss him right now. I really do love him.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Bec. I love reading what you have and will be writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. People take for granted daily conveniences. I believe that it shows even more when one is traveling.

    I'm glad you made it there safely and that you got to spend some time with your husband. Too bad an inch of snow was a bit too much for people to handle. Quite laughable to me. ;p

    Glad to read your blogs again.

    ReplyDelete